"I hate but one evil, and if I hate it, it is because I believe that it engenders and includes all the others: this is falsehood. I therefore endeavor to unmask it wherever I meet with it; it is the horror which it inspires me that give me the desire and the courage to write these travels: I undertook them through curiosity, I relate them from a sense of duty. A passion for truth is an inspiration which supplies the place of energy, youth, and enlightened views. [...] A hatred for hypocrisy is the torch which serves to guide me through the labyrinth of the world: those who deceive men, whatever means they may use, seem to me as poisoners; and the more elevated and powerful they are, the more they are culpable."
Astolphe de Custine
Sunday, November 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment